If I were that Waiter...

Brother's Bday Bash, Lucknow:  It was one of those not so usual birthday bashes. My cousin brother, the only other HR guy in the family (yes we are a rare breed) was celebrating-ahem, let’s say one of his birthdays. It was one of those rare occasions when all the cousins and second cousins get to be together, divided by the boundaries called "jobs". 

So all of us were having a gala time- me of course with my infamous PJs, in full flow. It was when the cake was being cut, when my eyes fell upon that waiter- dressed in all black attire, waiting quietly being one of the counters. At first I did not notice much about him, but it was a certain look of disappointment, of pathos, which later caught my attention. He was a man in his early thirties (maybe a bit more, I am never good with numbers), a crooked nose, and black beetle eyes. But that face- that impassive, unrelenting-what's the best word for it- tragic face made me wonder.

So this guy was serving everyone's favourite gulab jamun. Now most of us typical UP people have this habit of discussing the hotness and the taste of the gulab jamuns first with the waiter, and then with the others. So one of my uncles was having this long discussion with the waiter about the quality of the jamuns and most importantly, how hot they were. The waiter, looking completely disgruntled with the forced conversation, was nodding off haphazardly. As my uncle moved on, the waiter then went back to his stupor- tragic face again.

I then walked up to that guy. Without me even asking for it, he offered me a plate. I tried to strike some kind of informal conversation with him- his name, his family, but the guy completely thwarted any attempts. But his one simple reply blew me off my feet- "Sir Ji, aap kyo mujh garib pe time waster kr rhe ho, Party kro, aap to sone ki chamchi le k paida huye ho" Translated: (Sir, why are you wasting your time on me, enjoy, you were born with a silver spoon"). 

So this small incident left me wondering- we with our iOS and Androids are actually lucky. But, had I been put in such drastic scenarios, would I have had given up? Would I have been carrying that tragic face- of a man who had completely given up? I can honestly say that even though I have had resources, I have worked hard in life. But had I been put into such unhelpful, unthinkable scenarios, would I have been able to raise my head and say- "Yes I have worked hard?" It's surprising, but I was not able to come out with a definite answer for this question. Do resources matter this much to us? Or is it just that undying, omnipotent human spirit that can guide us though any situation? Think about it...I still am...

                              
  

What If I were that Waiter?

    



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black Cat

That Damn Spotlight!

Small Steps, Big Impact!