"Shakes" on a Plane

Somewhere in the skies above New Delhi:  I was aboard the infamous Air India flight, full of trepidation after hearing the various catastrophes about the flight. Now let me describe a little bit about myself- I am inclined towards a stoic (yeah I know a fancy word) kind of a temperament- one that believes in Karma. So we (the stoics) believe in come what may and possess the devil may care attitude towards things. So I am on the flight, ruffling the pages of a Christie novel- when the trouble begins.

The word "turbulence" might send a shiver down an experienced flier's body. To the inexperienced (me too) this is basically when your plane starts going haywire, up and down and in my case (turning turtle as well). So this is the cue for most passengers to start remembering the oh-so-many Gods and Goddesses. Also, for people like me (the so called stoics) it’s the cue to start observing others. So began the turbulent 15 minutes- one that I will remember for my life.

While the flight is going up and down, left and right, a few hyper active girls are clutching their purses with their full might, shouting out for their mummies. Then an elderly uncle was explaining in great lengths about his experiences and how he had learnt to be calm and composed, to anyone who was willing to listen. 
One of the typical aunties (in her high pitched cackle) was going in great lengths about how her daughter had advised her not to go. Best was this 30 something guy, who was busy with the business news, as if oblivious to the whole scenario. And then, my eyes fell on a lady- sitting in the middle rows, an infant in her arms. 

The lady (I want to call her Bernadette) was sitting there- fear in her eyes, looking at her baby. But was it actually fear? I was caught awestruck by the look on the lady's face. It was unfathomable- fear? Courage? Thoughtful? Reminiscent? I still don't know.

Then came that big jolt- when the plane lost around a thousand meter of height in a quarter of a second (I guess). All hell broke loose. Vomiting, screaming, shouting, the air hostesses trying their best to restore sanity-even the business news guy looked shaken.  And then there was Bernadette, smiling at her sleeping baby, kissing on the baby's forehead and sitting silently- closing her eyes. 


                                 

It's then that I realized what a stoic means. Bernadette had her life in her hands (quite literally) and she cared nothing about anything else. She know, alive or dead, she would be with her baby- and that was enough for her to be calm. Is this what we all should do? Yes, there will be instances when you be far from the person 
(or thing) that you truly care about- but can your present and past actions not help in giving you an assurance that you left that person (or thing) in the best possible scenario. Karma might be a bitch, but Karma might just make you a Bernadette- one with the courage of a bear.


Kal Ho Na Ho…Right?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black Cat

That Damn Spotlight!

Small Steps, Big Impact!