“Of Dubai and the Ways”




My bags packed, my mother in tears, I boarded the flight to Dubai, for a one year stint in the Dual Country Program of IMT, Ghaziabad. A bit apprehensive about the journey, about the rules (mind you too many) and of course, actually residing there.

Dubai, well, is majestic, (as projected). Fast cars, awesome buildings, awesome people, and of course, high living, are typical of Dubai. It’s actually very simple here- spend some AEDs, and you can enjoy life. The Government is cool, once a while a Sheikh overlord gets all overjoyed, and cancels all the loans. Moreover, for the gizmo freaks, there are umpteen discounts (compared to your country), a GITEX (gizmo trade show) that hands out free iPads, air conditioned buses, and even air conditioned bus stops!!

For a young man, Dubai has nearly everything, from jobs (yup a bit difficult now), to cars, even blonds. But if you a sentimentalist like me (maybe a mentalist like me), something is amiss. Don’t know why, but that Indian in me never stops whispering, that this could much better, this could have been tweaked a little, basically, something is missing.

What is it?? I guess it’s that feeling of Indianess which you cannot get anywhere. Imagine, in Dubai, to take a roundabout, you have to first drive half a kilometer for a U-turn, and then come back. Back in our land, we just slowed our speed, looked for a cop, and then sped away. Wrong, I know, but didn’t we all do it. Or maybe remember the late night “Dhaba wali Chai”, which you can’t get in Dubai’s Hilton. Here, my fellow batch mates go out to stare at the “Firangs”, in their short clad clothing. India, with those elegant suit clad girls, wins my vote for sure!!


Well jokes aside, I guess you never really adjust in a different country. You’ll like it there, work there, in fact is successful there, but in the end, India is India. Isn’t it???


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black Cat

That Damn Spotlight!

Small Steps, Big Impact!