The Pursuit to Happiness

"You go get it", "No!!!" , ":Why should I go get it!!", "Go or i'll take my bat"... I looked up, the sound of this scuffle making me look up. I was sitting in the balcony, tired after all those classes, and time pass, that an engineering college makes us do. I was trying to study (see the emphasis on trying!!!), but was actually more interested in the cricket match that was going on between the small kids of our locality.
                                     
                              As it always happens in our infamous "Gully Cricket" the ball went straight into that "Dreaded" person's house (that old uncle or aunt, who used to shoo away any attempts to get back the ball). The holy bible of the Gully Cricket was called for, and the Clause "Get the Ball" was read. It clearly stated, that the person who had hit the ball, had to go and get it, by hook or by crook. But again, as always, no one wanted to literally head to the gallows.

Finally, the youngest boy was selected to do the honors. He went, rang the ball, and watched as the devil stepped outside. And of course, as it always happens, all attempts to get back the ball were thwarted. Then began the small scuffle, as to who would purchase the new ball. All had agreed to pitch in Rs 2 each (big money for kids!) but 1 Rs was still amiss. Who will give that, was the main issue.

I got up, smiling at those little version of "me" ( all of us actually), called one of them, and handed them a 10 Rs Note, to the amazement of all the kids. They looked at me, and finally one of them asked me, "will you come and play?"

The kids question left me wondering, about the circle of life. Here was me, now an engineering student, stressed about grades and career, and Money, to be happy, and THERE was a me, worried about how to get that one rs, to be happy. Curiously, only the denomination had increased, I still had remained the same.

We grow older, wondering about our careers, our life, our methods, in search of that elusive happiness.In reality, I guess what we really need is that One rupee, that will really make us content. Always look out for these moments, and don't let them go, because once you learn to cherish them, you will be successful on your Pursuit to Happiness.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Black Cat

That Damn Spotlight!

Small Steps, Big Impact!